The Shapes of Stories, a Kurt Vonnegut Infographic

My take on visually presenting Kurt Vonnegut’s theories about archetypal stories, designed after researching the subject.

Prints are available on my shop on Etsy.

It’s really exciting for me to see Vonnegut’s ideas and my creative work resonate with people. Thank you for your interest!

(click for larger version)

About these ads

145 comments

1. Pingback: The Vonnegut’s Graph for Plotting Stories | The Blue Caterpillar

2. Hi maya,

I am an English teacher..and am often looking for schematic to explain stories to kids.

I just taught slaughterhouse five to juniors. I will likely buy the poster at a minimum. Is there a way to use the separate “slides” in a PowerPoint or prezi?

I use Fretag’s Pyramid to teach plot to my Freshmen…

3. yboris

Reblogged this on YBoris and commented:
    The Shapes of Stories, a Kurt Vonnegut Infographic

4. Pingback: The Shape of Stories | Visuality

5. Pingback: Golden Arches, What stories lie beneath | cookiesuponwhichtomunch

6. Pingback: The shape of stories (and preaching) | St. Eutychus

7. Pingback: LINKS – Web Resources on Storytelling Strategies | New Media Writing

8. Pingback: Does A Story Have A Shape? | Creating Communication

9. Pingback: The Shapes Of Stories by Vonnegut [infographic] | David Wu

10. Pingback: Friday Link Pack 04-04-14 | I make stories.

11. Reblogged this on Mrs Taylor's English Blog and commented:
    Great infographic.

12. Stoop

Just wanted to say that, as a writer, I found this to be extremely helpful. Thanks for doing it.

13. Pingback: This story shape won’t leave you Frozen | Escape from normal

14. Pingback: What Goes Up Must Come Down | The LRo Download

15. Pingback: The Shapes Of Stories [infographic] - Daily Infographic

16. Pingback: GMU Week 1: What is Story?

17. Pingback: Ad Man in Waiting

18. Pingback: beta baby

19. Pingback: Kurt Vonnegut's Shapes of Stories in infographic form | Notebook

20. Pingback: As formas de uma história | Nara Francini

21. Pingback: Shapes of Stories? : Stories for Society

22. Pingback: Writing Wednesdays: Vonnegut’s story charts « Quo Vadis Blog

23. Great work! I would also like to be notified about prints.

24. Pingback: Les Courbes Narratives de Vonnegut ! | A l'aventure et au-delà...

25. Pingback: Sweater weather | A Softer Focus

26. Pingback: Kurt Vonnegut’s theory that every story an be told with 1 of 8 sentences | That Eric Alper

27. Pingback: Watch Kurt Vonnegut demystify story structure with a fairy tale and a piece of chalk – Nieman Storyboard - A project of the Nieman Foundation for Journalism at Harvard

28. Pingback: Kurt Vonnegut and Story Shapes » Jenny Williams

29. Pingback: Stumbling Over Chaos :: Holy crap, linkity got totally out of hand when I wasn’t paying attention!

30. Pingback: M.U.S.C.L.E. Figures Weekly Review | M.U.S.C.L.E. Figures from Mattel - UofMUSCLE.com

31. Pingback: A Plot Begins to Take Shape* | Confessions of a Mystery Novelist...

32. Pingback: Omnium Gatherum: Feb 26th, 2014 | The Hermetic Library Blog

33. Anthony

I would love a print!

34. Pingback: The Missing Links: Vonnegut's Eight Types of Story | Steph's Random Facts

35. Gary Freymiller

Great work Maya! Like everyone else I’m interested in getting a print. There’s a Kurt Vonnegut Memorial Library in Indianapolis. They for sure need to have a print for their collection, and I think they should be interested in selling them there as well. Let them know at info@vonnegutlibrary.org

36. Pingback: The shape of stories… – Shannon Turlington

37. Roger

Wonderful

38. Pingback: User Story Structure: Kurt Vonnegut’s Shapes | Let My Data Go!

39. Pingback: Every story you love can be retold with one of eight sentences | Funri

40. beautiful design on an amazing topic.

• Maya Eilam

Thank you, Liam. I feel like I came across an awesome idea and gave sharing it my all. It’s really wonderful to have people see it and receive it so well.

41. Pingback: Every story you love can be retold with one of eight sentences | 22 Words

42. The Cinderella graph is incorrect – it should start way down, climbs has a peak, sinks again then ends in endless joy ^^

• Maya Eilam

Hi, I know what you mean, but I think it’s actually not so simple. When translating the line graphs into 2D shapes, there’s a fundamental change in the visuals that requires showing the shape of the steps, moreso than their relationship to the baseline. I think this shape is closest to what I gathered and synthesized from my research. It’s also good to keep in mind that Kurt Vonnegut himself drew the shapes with variations.

43. Reblogged this on fabriziofaraco and commented:
    Stories are everywhere. Just know their shape

44. Reblogged this on Tok and commented:
    Amazing visualization of Kurt Vonnegut’s thesis on the shape of stories by designer Maya Eilam

45. Reblogged this on Across the Universe and commented:
    This is simply awesome

46. Hey! I’d like to be notified about prints.

47. Pingback: Vonnegut's Shapes of Stories

48. Eric

Hi Maya – how very wonderful! I’d like to be notified when the prints are available. Loved KV’s theories about life as a shapely story.

49. Pingback: Shapes of Stories

50. Andrewog

Thanks, I really enjoyed this. I saw Vonnegut lecture over 10years ago and remember him drawing graphs for Hamlet and the Metamorphosis. Nice to see it again. I never knew he considered it as a thesis.

51. Very cool. Thanks for sharing this.

Another interesting observation, say in the case of Selby’s Requiem for a Dream, is what role tragedy is really playing. At first you might put that story under the Bad to Worse label. But if you change perspective and label tragedy (in this case, addiction) as the hero of the story, you’ll see it more closely follows the Man in Hole narrative. Er, Tragedy in Hole.

There is a period when it seems like tragedy may lose, that they just might get their lives together, beat addiction, and pull themselves out of the ghetto. But in the end, tragedy wins and the characters succumb to their respective addictions.

Sometimes the hero following an arc isn’t a character, but instead, the forces around them.

• Maya Eilam

That is very perceptive! I agree, and I think there are a lot of ways to see a story and what is actually happening as the story progresses.

There’s also the role of the audience/reader to consider. An arc could chart our feelings as we experience a story.

52. Pingback: The Blow Magazine | Kurt Vonnegut’s Shapes of Stories in infographic form

53. Pingback: The Shapes of Stories, a Kurt Vonnegut Infographic | Rapid Notes

54. Why the hell was this rejeceted?

55. Pingback: Filament Friday 02/21/2014 | Even Losers Can Win

56. Pingback: Every Story Ever Told According to Kurt Vonnegut | Culture Designers

57. Why did you leave “Hamlet” off?

• Maya Eilam

Hamlet is on there under “Which Way Is Up?”

• Sorry about that. I didn’t notice it at first because Vonnegut always put it at the end. It’s kind of the exception that proves the rule.

• Maya Eilam

eeyore, I know what you mean. But there’s actually a lot of variation in the way Vonnegut presented the theory in Palm Sunday compared to A Man Without A Country. Hamlet is at the end in the latter, and not even present in the former.

58. Pingback: Vonnegut’s The Shapes of Stories: All Stories Ever Told Can Be Described in These 8 Simple Graphs | News aggrgator

59. Pingback: The Universal Shapes of Stories, According to Kurt Vonnegut | The Fire In Our Heads

60. Reblogged this on Mr. Bowen in Los Angeles and commented:
    What a great way to see storytelling.

61. Pingback: Platypus LocalKurt Vonnegut Shows Us How To Visualize Our Stories - Platypus Local

62. Adrienne

I would like one, too. How can we make that happen?

• Maya Eilam

Hi Adrienne, thank you, we can make that happen! I’m looking into printing and I’ll update you soon.

63. Jennifer

I love this! I’m a high school writing teach and I’d love to have a large poster of this for my room. It’s just perfect. Where and how can I get one?
    Thank you.

• Maya Eilam

Hi Jennifer, thank you so much! I’m now looking into prints and will have an update for you soon.

64. Pingback: This infographic by Kurt Vonnegut explains how to shape your story

65. Pingback: Los 8 consejos de Kurt Vonnegut para escribir una gran historia y un Bonus. « SKIP INTRO

66. Reblogged this on Cabra Senior Library Blog and commented:
    Was excited by this Infographic illustrating the American author Kurt Vonnegut’s theory on the Shapes of Stories.

67. Pingback: Headless ds106 Week 3: What Mean Ye Digital Storytelling?

68. Pingback: The Shapes of Stories by Kurt Vonnegut | Mired In Mundanity

69. Pingback: Kurt Vonnegut’s Shapes of Stories | Richard Crompton

70. Pingback: The Shapes of Stories by Kurt Vonnegut | Writers Write

71. Pingback: Vonnegut on the Shapes of Stories | How To Write a Screenplay

72. Pingback: WriteThinker.com

73. Pingback: Friday Faves | Beyond The Margins

74. Reblogged this on MichaelEdwardKelly.com and commented:
    Very cool. I’ve always really enjoyed the idea that one could map story arcs like this. It fulfills the part of my brain that demands structure.

75. Good ol’ Kurt. You graphed him well.

76. Maya, truly delighted by your work! Congratulations on well-deserved recognition.

77. Pingback: Story Shapes | Jen's reflective blog

78. Pingback: Shapes of Stories Infographic | Story Treasury

79. Joyce

Like Chris, I heard about this on “Gabfest” and had to look it up (after wondering if I had your name right). Kurt Vonnegut is a favorite, and you’ve done something unique with his philosophy. This is inspiring and something to bring into the classroom.

80. Pingback: What Shape is Your Brand Story?Seven Story Learning

81. Pingback: The Shapes of Stories, a Kurt Vonnegut Infographic | freshimpressionsdesign

82. Pingback: The Shapes of Stories, a Kurt Vonnegut Infographic | License to Blog

83. Lee Harrod

Fun, Maya. (Do I detect some literary theory?) (: )=

84. Pingback: Week 3: What Mean Ye Digital Story?

85. Pingback: Mark Charan Newton » The Shapes of Stories

86. Hi Maya, Fantastic work. Kudos. Loved the infographic :) Thanks for creating.

87. Funny, smart, and entirely on point! Thanks for this!

88. Did you come up with the examples? They’re just as good as the design!

• Maya Eilam

Yes I did, it was tough but fun. I was trying to come up with older examples and contemporary examples to show that the story shape stays the same regardless of old/new, classic/commercial. Thank you!

89. Pingback: Middle School Matters » Blog Archive » MSM 232: Fresh Prince of Buying Happiness

90. Fantastic work Maya, thank you. You’re an extremely talented designer.

91. Excellent diagram. I heard about it this morning on this week’s Slate Political Gabfest podcast, wrote down your name, and looked it up. Great design, and great thought process!

• Maya Eilam

That’s great, writing down my name is not the easiest thing to do! I’m glad you like it, thank you.

92. Pingback: The Shapes of Stories — Infographic « NJBiblio

93. Wow! Been teaching this for years in writing workshops! Great to see your graphic…mine are a bit more random and free hand impro but hey! Love it!

94. Pingback: Kurt Vonnegut on the Shape of Stories « THE OTHER NETWORK WRITER'S ROOM

95. Pingback: Teknik: Kurt Vonnegut’s otte grundfortællinger « Kunsthøjskolen Holbæks tegneseriehold

96. Pingback: The Week in Writing: A List of My Favorite Posts & Tips | Kami Garcia -- NYT Bestselling Author (The Beautiful Creatures Novels & Unbreakable, The Legion: Book - Coming 2013)

97. Pingback: The shape of stories, by Vonnegut – Andy Wallman's Idea Bucket

98. Pingback: Hourglass Figure « shut up and deal

99. Pingback: On the Familiar Archetypes of Storytelling | A Homely Homeless

100. Pingback: The Shape of Stories | The Average Life

101. Pingback: The Shape of a TEDdy Bear | Rescue Sergeant Socks

102. Pingback: Week 3: What is a Digital Story?

103. Pingback: What Shape is your Story? | Digitally Speaking

104. Joe

this is awesome.

105. Pingback: Trailblazing (weekly) « Haas | Learning

106. Pingback: shaping our stories | Kristina Lucenko

107. Pingback: Week Two Newsletter from Camp Magic MacGuffin — Camp Magic MacGuffin

108. Pingback: PRESENTability · Les formes des histoires : plusieurs choix pour améliorer les présentations

109. Pingback: PRESENTability · The Shapes of stories: many choices to improve presentations

110. Gotta admit, you hit the nail on the head! Great Job!