The Shapes of Stories, a Kurt Vonnegut Infographic

My take on visually presenting Kurt Vonnegut’s theories about archetypal stories, designed after researching the subject.

Prints are available on my shop on Etsy.

It’s really exciting for me to see Vonnegut’s ideas and my creative work resonate with people. Thank you for your interest!

(click for larger version)

About these ads

144 comments

1. Gotta admit, you hit the nail on the head! Great Job!

2. Pingback: PRESENTability · The Shapes of stories: many choices to improve presentations

3. Pingback: PRESENTability · Les formes des histoires : plusieurs choix pour améliorer les présentations

4. Pingback: Week Two Newsletter from Camp Magic MacGuffin — Camp Magic MacGuffin

5. Pingback: shaping our stories | Kristina Lucenko

6. Pingback: Trailblazing (weekly) « Haas | Learning

7. Joe

this is awesome.

8. Pingback: What Shape is your Story? | Digitally Speaking

9. Pingback: Week 3: What is a Digital Story?

10. Pingback: The Shape of a TEDdy Bear | Rescue Sergeant Socks

11. Pingback: The Shape of Stories | The Average Life

12. Pingback: On the Familiar Archetypes of Storytelling | A Homely Homeless

13. Pingback: Hourglass Figure « shut up and deal

14. Pingback: The shape of stories, by Vonnegut – Andy Wallman's Idea Bucket

15. Pingback: The Week in Writing: A List of My Favorite Posts & Tips | Kami Garcia -- NYT Bestselling Author (The Beautiful Creatures Novels & Unbreakable, The Legion: Book - Coming 2013)

16. Pingback: Teknik: Kurt Vonnegut’s otte grundfortællinger « Kunsthøjskolen Holbæks tegneseriehold

17. Pingback: Kurt Vonnegut on the Shape of Stories « THE OTHER NETWORK WRITER'S ROOM

18. Wow! Been teaching this for years in writing workshops! Great to see your graphic…mine are a bit more random and free hand impro but hey! Love it!

19. Pingback: The Shapes of Stories — Infographic « NJBiblio

20. Excellent diagram. I heard about it this morning on this week’s Slate Political Gabfest podcast, wrote down your name, and looked it up. Great design, and great thought process!

• Maya Eilam

That’s great, writing down my name is not the easiest thing to do! I’m glad you like it, thank you.

21. Fantastic work Maya, thank you. You’re an extremely talented designer.

22. Pingback: Middle School Matters » Blog Archive » MSM 232: Fresh Prince of Buying Happiness

23. Did you come up with the examples? They’re just as good as the design!

• Maya Eilam

Yes I did, it was tough but fun. I was trying to come up with older examples and contemporary examples to show that the story shape stays the same regardless of old/new, classic/commercial. Thank you!

24. Funny, smart, and entirely on point! Thanks for this!

25. Hi Maya, Fantastic work. Kudos. Loved the infographic :) Thanks for creating.

26. Pingback: Mark Charan Newton » The Shapes of Stories

27. Pingback: Week 3: What Mean Ye Digital Story?

28. Lee Harrod

Fun, Maya. (Do I detect some literary theory?) (: )=

29. Pingback: The Shapes of Stories, a Kurt Vonnegut Infographic | License to Blog

30. Pingback: The Shapes of Stories, a Kurt Vonnegut Infographic | freshimpressionsdesign

31. Pingback: What Shape is Your Brand Story?Seven Story Learning

32. Joyce

Like Chris, I heard about this on “Gabfest” and had to look it up (after wondering if I had your name right). Kurt Vonnegut is a favorite, and you’ve done something unique with his philosophy. This is inspiring and something to bring into the classroom.

33. Pingback: Shapes of Stories Infographic | Story Treasury

34. Pingback: Story Shapes | Jen's reflective blog

35. Maya, truly delighted by your work! Congratulations on well-deserved recognition.

36. Good ol’ Kurt. You graphed him well.

37. Reblogged this on MichaelEdwardKelly.com and commented:
    Very cool. I’ve always really enjoyed the idea that one could map story arcs like this. It fulfills the part of my brain that demands structure.

38. Pingback: Friday Faves | Beyond The Margins

39. Pingback: WriteThinker.com

40. Pingback: Vonnegut on the Shapes of Stories | How To Write a Screenplay

41. Pingback: The Shapes of Stories by Kurt Vonnegut | Writers Write

42. Pingback: Kurt Vonnegut’s Shapes of Stories | Richard Crompton

43. Pingback: The Shapes of Stories by Kurt Vonnegut | Mired In Mundanity

44. Pingback: Headless ds106 Week 3: What Mean Ye Digital Storytelling?

45. Reblogged this on Cabra Senior Library Blog and commented:
    Was excited by this Infographic illustrating the American author Kurt Vonnegut’s theory on the Shapes of Stories.

46. Pingback: Los 8 consejos de Kurt Vonnegut para escribir una gran historia y un Bonus. « SKIP INTRO

47. Pingback: This infographic by Kurt Vonnegut explains how to shape your story

48. Jennifer

I love this! I’m a high school writing teach and I’d love to have a large poster of this for my room. It’s just perfect. Where and how can I get one?
    Thank you.

• Maya Eilam

Hi Jennifer, thank you so much! I’m now looking into prints and will have an update for you soon.

49. Adrienne

I would like one, too. How can we make that happen?

• Maya Eilam

Hi Adrienne, thank you, we can make that happen! I’m looking into printing and I’ll update you soon.

50. Pingback: Platypus LocalKurt Vonnegut Shows Us How To Visualize Our Stories - Platypus Local

51. Reblogged this on Mr. Bowen in Los Angeles and commented:
    What a great way to see storytelling.

52. Pingback: The Universal Shapes of Stories, According to Kurt Vonnegut | The Fire In Our Heads

53. Pingback: Vonnegut’s The Shapes of Stories: All Stories Ever Told Can Be Described in These 8 Simple Graphs | News aggrgator

54. Why did you leave “Hamlet” off?

• Maya Eilam

Hamlet is on there under “Which Way Is Up?”

• Sorry about that. I didn’t notice it at first because Vonnegut always put it at the end. It’s kind of the exception that proves the rule.

• Maya Eilam

eeyore, I know what you mean. But there’s actually a lot of variation in the way Vonnegut presented the theory in Palm Sunday compared to A Man Without A Country. Hamlet is at the end in the latter, and not even present in the former.

55. Pingback: Every Story Ever Told According to Kurt Vonnegut | Culture Designers

56. Pingback: Filament Friday 02/21/2014 | Even Losers Can Win

57. Why the hell was this rejeceted?

58. Pingback: The Shapes of Stories, a Kurt Vonnegut Infographic | Rapid Notes

59. Pingback: The Blow Magazine | Kurt Vonnegut’s Shapes of Stories in infographic form

60. Very cool. Thanks for sharing this.

Another interesting observation, say in the case of Selby’s Requiem for a Dream, is what role tragedy is really playing. At first you might put that story under the Bad to Worse label. But if you change perspective and label tragedy (in this case, addiction) as the hero of the story, you’ll see it more closely follows the Man in Hole narrative. Er, Tragedy in Hole.

There is a period when it seems like tragedy may lose, that they just might get their lives together, beat addiction, and pull themselves out of the ghetto. But in the end, tragedy wins and the characters succumb to their respective addictions.

Sometimes the hero following an arc isn’t a character, but instead, the forces around them.

• Maya Eilam

That is very perceptive! I agree, and I think there are a lot of ways to see a story and what is actually happening as the story progresses.

There’s also the role of the audience/reader to consider. An arc could chart our feelings as we experience a story.

61. Andrewog

Thanks, I really enjoyed this. I saw Vonnegut lecture over 10years ago and remember him drawing graphs for Hamlet and the Metamorphosis. Nice to see it again. I never knew he considered it as a thesis.

62. Pingback: Shapes of Stories

63. Eric

Hi Maya – how very wonderful! I’d like to be notified when the prints are available. Loved KV’s theories about life as a shapely story.

64. Pingback: Vonnegut's Shapes of Stories

65. Hey! I’d like to be notified about prints.

66. Reblogged this on Across the Universe and commented:
    This is simply awesome

67. Reblogged this on Tok and commented:
    Amazing visualization of Kurt Vonnegut’s thesis on the shape of stories by designer Maya Eilam

68. Reblogged this on fabriziofaraco and commented:
    Stories are everywhere. Just know their shape

69. The Cinderella graph is incorrect – it should start way down, climbs has a peak, sinks again then ends in endless joy ^^

• Maya Eilam

Hi, I know what you mean, but I think it’s actually not so simple. When translating the line graphs into 2D shapes, there’s a fundamental change in the visuals that requires showing the shape of the steps, moreso than their relationship to the baseline. I think this shape is closest to what I gathered and synthesized from my research. It’s also good to keep in mind that Kurt Vonnegut himself drew the shapes with variations.

70. Pingback: Every story you love can be retold with one of eight sentences | 22 Words

71. beautiful design on an amazing topic.

• Maya Eilam

Thank you, Liam. I feel like I came across an awesome idea and gave sharing it my all. It’s really wonderful to have people see it and receive it so well.

72. Pingback: Every story you love can be retold with one of eight sentences | Funri

73. Pingback: User Story Structure: Kurt Vonnegut’s Shapes | Let My Data Go!

74. Roger

Wonderful

75. Pingback: The shape of stories… – Shannon Turlington

76. Gary Freymiller

Great work Maya! Like everyone else I’m interested in getting a print. There’s a Kurt Vonnegut Memorial Library in Indianapolis. They for sure need to have a print for their collection, and I think they should be interested in selling them there as well. Let them know at info@vonnegutlibrary.org

77. Pingback: The Missing Links: Vonnegut's Eight Types of Story | Steph's Random Facts

78. Anthony

I would love a print!

79. Pingback: Omnium Gatherum: Feb 26th, 2014 | The Hermetic Library Blog

80. Pingback: A Plot Begins to Take Shape* | Confessions of a Mystery Novelist...

81. Pingback: M.U.S.C.L.E. Figures Weekly Review | M.U.S.C.L.E. Figures from Mattel - UofMUSCLE.com

82. Pingback: Stumbling Over Chaos :: Holy crap, linkity got totally out of hand when I wasn’t paying attention!

83. Pingback: Kurt Vonnegut and Story Shapes » Jenny Williams

84. Pingback: Watch Kurt Vonnegut demystify story structure with a fairy tale and a piece of chalk – Nieman Storyboard - A project of the Nieman Foundation for Journalism at Harvard

85. Pingback: Kurt Vonnegut’s theory that every story an be told with 1 of 8 sentences | That Eric Alper

86. Pingback: Sweater weather | A Softer Focus

87. Pingback: Les Courbes Narratives de Vonnegut ! | A l'aventure et au-delà...

88. Great work! I would also like to be notified about prints.

89. Pingback: Writing Wednesdays: Vonnegut’s story charts « Quo Vadis Blog

90. Pingback: Shapes of Stories? : Stories for Society

91. Pingback: As formas de uma história | Nara Francini

92. Pingback: Kurt Vonnegut's Shapes of Stories in infographic form | Notebook

93. Pingback: beta baby

94. Pingback: Ad Man in Waiting

95. Pingback: GMU Week 1: What is Story?

96. Pingback: The Shapes Of Stories [infographic] - Daily Infographic

97. Pingback: What Goes Up Must Come Down | The LRo Download

98. Pingback: This story shape won’t leave you Frozen | Escape from normal

99. Stoop

Just wanted to say that, as a writer, I found this to be extremely helpful. Thanks for doing it.

100. Reblogged this on Mrs Taylor's English Blog and commented:
    Great infographic.

101. Pingback: Friday Link Pack 04-04-14 | I make stories.

102. Pingback: The Shapes Of Stories by Vonnegut [infographic] | David Wu

103. Pingback: Does A Story Have A Shape? | Creating Communication

104. Pingback: LINKS – Web Resources on Storytelling Strategies | New Media Writing

105. Pingback: The shape of stories (and preaching) | St. Eutychus

106. Pingback: Golden Arches, What stories lie beneath | cookiesuponwhichtomunch

107. Pingback: The Shape of Stories | Visuality

108. yboris

Reblogged this on YBoris and commented:
    The Shapes of Stories, a Kurt Vonnegut Infographic

109. Hi maya,

I am an English teacher..and am often looking for schematic to explain stories to kids.

I just taught slaughterhouse five to juniors. I will likely buy the poster at a minimum. Is there a way to use the separate “slides” in a PowerPoint or prezi?

I use Fretag’s Pyramid to teach plot to my Freshmen…